Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In Memoriam Bev Zuk

The following is from Melissa Bayard Clemmer 8/19/2009

--------------
Beverly Zuk, Illinois writer and artist in fandom for many years, passed away this last Sunday (Aug. 16, 2009) in Wisconsin where she and her husband retired two years ago.

She is survived by a patient, loving husband who was there for her till the end, and two wonderful grown sons.

Bev was mostly a Trek fan, writing several novels, several of which are still available today. She particularly liked McCoy, who appealed to her sense of humor. She was one of the original members of the Trek Mafia, and helped with many SF and Media cons thru the years.

She will be missed.
------------

You may drop comments on this news blog for possible inclusion in a more permanent web page in the Sime~Gen fanzine Companion In Zeor to stand beside the tribute to Joan Winston
http://www.simegen.com/sgfandom/rimonslibrary/cz/cz24/JoanWinston.html

Everything on simegen.com and almost everyone associated with the enterprise is somehow related to or connected to or derived from Star Trek.

See
http://www.simegen.com/reviews/rereadablebooks/trekcon.html and our classic Star Trek 'zine section http://www.simegen.com/fandom/startrek/

Bev Zuk was a mover and shaker, a guiding light, a cheer leader and a first in scout. She had common sense and a flaming spirit. There's no way to express how she will be missed.

If anyone knows more details of how it happened, please share with us here.

Jacqueline Lichtenberg
http://www.simegen.com/jl/

3 comments:

  1. and so they depart one by one...leaving us memories and in Bev's case also some wonderous pieces of art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a big Star Trek fan myself, I hated to hear the sad news. Star Trek left a deep space impact on we as readers and movie goers. I liked McCoy too. Every time I see Star Trek on TV,my mind is filled with wonderful memories. Those writers will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline Lichtenberg here, relaying comments that came by email.
    -----------
    FROM MELISSA BAYARD CLEMMER
    Bev was the first writer I met in fandom, and I pubished her first couple of novels on my Gestetner mimeo machine. The Trek Mafia had such a good time togther, and made such fabulous true close friends. We were and are truly blessed to have had that opportunity.
    -----------

    FROM JUDY SEGAL
    Bev was one of my first friends in fandom. I met her through the round-robin when you sent one of my pieces around on it. She and several others stayed at my house one night after a con in NYC, and on my wall is a pen-and-ink drawing of Richard as a Vulcan child.

    I have fond memories of her, though I haven't been in touch with her in many many years. I think Richard will still remember her and I will
    pass the news along to him.

    I remember her as being bright, capable,and very nice to deal with.

    She was good fun, and highly creative, and somewhat of a costumer. I hadn't realized that
    she had anything published outside the fan scene, but the note you sent along makes it sound like she went professional.
    ---------------

    ReplyDelete